Saturday, May 21, 2011

Luv Ranjan can't cast an established actor

Luv Ranjan
Luv Ranjan
First-time Director Luv Ranjan tells us about his first experience of directing a film, how he dealt with an entirely new cast and why he isn't working with bigger stars even with the provision of a bigger budget.

About newcomers in "Pyaar Ka Punchnama"
I was a little skeptical about finding the right people, not working with a new cast. I spend a lot of time on auditions, almost eight months because as a first time Director, one gets impatient because you want to start the film. I had to remind myself that if in a hurry I cast the wrong people, the film will go for a toss. I was not only looking for good actors, I was looking for stars. I wanted good-looking people who could act. There were difficulties on set because these guys are not as experienced as actors who have been there in the industry for a long time. I did various workshops with the actors. The chemistry was very important in the film so I made the actors stay in the two bedroom apartment, they would come at 9am and leave after shooting, that is what created chemistry. They never went to their private vanity vans after shots; they were always there for each other.

About Directing for the first-time
You get to know what directing is all about when you have twelve shots to take and the sun is setting. No one can teach you directing. It is an experience. I feel confident now after completing the film. If asked to make the same film again, I might change a few things. I am happy with the final product.

About acting in future
I have no interest in acting. People believe that whoever comes to Mumbai comes to become an actor and ends up becoming something else after failure but I always wanted to be a writer. I wrote the script and lyrics of "Pyaar Ka Punchnama". I might just do a cameo in a film for the fun of it but I have no interest in acting whatsoever.

About his Delhi days
I am from Gaziabad and studied in Hindu. The film is shot in Delhi because people pick up ideas from what they have experienced, Delhi is my experience and people will witness true Delhi and NCR in the film. Dilliwalo ki film hai. In Delhi I was not the kind of guy who would go to a bar to drink, I was the theka type who would drink in cars and then have races with friends. We would sit with thullas and drink, but that's what Delhi's young population is all about.

About future projects
My second film which will be coming out in October is also Delhi based. It will be a hardcore romantic film. It is tentatively titled "Saathi" and I am still shuffling between two titles. That film was supposed to be shot in winters in Delhi but we missed the winters. That film will have a bigger budget. Even with a bigger budget I never wanted experienced actors because it's a story about 20-year-old's. I can't cast an established 40-year-old star for such a role.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...