Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Roadies plan to be nice on season 9

There’s not much you can ask these three personalities, who apparently play themselves for weeks at a stretch, on what can today safely be called one of the tube’s most-watched reality shows. Yet, after a thirty-five minute conversation with host Rannvijay Singh, Raghu Ram and his twin brother Rajeev, there are things you discover about the tough-to-crack trio and the upcoming ninth season of MTV Hero Roadies.

 This time for instance, Rajeev insists, the makers have consciously added footage of the hosts being nice to the episodes.

“This nastiness was actually a topic of discussion, so we have put some content that will help people understand us better,” says Rajeev, adding, “It will be a perception changer.”

On another note, we also discovered that Raghu, director and creator of MTV Hero Roadies, hates working on the show.

“It’s terrible, it’s horrible. I can’t even begin to tell you…” he pauses, then he says, “But I love it after it’s done watching what’s been created. That’s the only feeling I work for. While doing it, it’s death. It’s excruciatingly painful. I don’t want to continue doing it.” Really?

“I don’t know, I am not thinking beyond Season 9. People are already talking about season 10. It’ll be the first reality show in the country to have so many seasons, so it is tempting.”

This season, the bikers will head to the US. Currently, the audition episodes are on air. First stop: Delhi. The contestants from that part of the country make the show what it is most of the times.

And everyone knows that, including the makers. Says Rannvijay, who too auditioned in the Capital nine years ago, “First and foremost, it’s their Hindi speaking ability, and secondly, they are okay with saying whatever’s in their head. They don’t think of the consequences.”

Roadies is one of the longest-running reality shows on Indian television. Yet, there is no news of the show being adapted internationally. Raghu feels there’s a problem, but nothing that can’t be fixed.

“The reason I am able to do that is because I am the creator and I have the credibility. For it to go to any country, you have to look for someone, who is a presenter, director, a great casting director, someone who can spontaneously conduct interesting interviews and have a twin brother! I don’t know if there are so many people like that.”

Waqar Zaka asked me to collaborate with him
Videos of Pakistani pop sensation and TV host Waqar Zaka are a rage on YouTube. His sharp interviewing skills and hosting techniques have, on many occasions, been compared to that of Raghu’s.

Interestingly, Raghu reveals, “I know Waqar Zaka. He is in touch with me. He wants me to collaborate with him on a show. I’m only afraid that I might not find the time.”

People invite Raghu and me to yell, abuse
Says Rajeev, “It’s important for Raghu and I to respect the people who we work with. Lot of colleges invite us and are ready to pay money. They ask us to come and shout at them, abuse them, do a Roadies style interview. I say, I can’t deal with you any more, because that is the sum total of what I am in your perception.”

High time format got adapted
Talking about adapting MTV Hero Roadies in different countries, Raghu says, “I don’t know why it hasn’t happened. I know many countries are interested. People get in touch with me, from Pakistan, Bangladesh and inner Asia. I don’t own the rights to the show; I can only put them forward to MTV.”

By Hindustan times

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...