Thursday, May 5, 2011

Sonakshi isn't my best friend: Zarine

To a girl looking in from the outside, being labelled a Katrina Kaif doppelganger would be a compliment worthy to boost a young lady's self-esteem for quite sometime.

But for Salman's protégé Zarine Khan, who has been trying to recover from her debut in the box-office flop Veer, it has been more of a bane in her professional life.

The actress revealed, "You know after the release of Veer, I was lost. The film did not do as well as expected and I was not getting big offers.

Only new directors were approaching me. Then, there were all these comparisons about me being a Katrina Kaif look-alike and how I would eventually disappear like Sneha Ullal.

I was very insecure and had no film background. However, it's been over a year and with work coming in, I have been able to dispel all talks about me disappearing. However, now I have to shed one more issue and that's being a Katrina look alike."

The uncanny resemblance to Kaif has funnily enough made people believe Zarine too is from the UK. And with her British background being spread with conviction she is rumoured to have difficulty speaking Hindi. However, Zarine set the record straight, as she said, "There is this misconception that I am from UK and I am 26-27 years old.

The fact is I have been born and raised in Bombay and I am just 23 years old. I don't know why everyone feels that I can't speak Hindi. I cannot only speak Hindi but also Marathi and that too fluently. Mujhe koi problem nahi hai. I just hope that once and for all, it is clear."

Also, having a Dabangg Khan in your corner comes with the difficult task of dealing with the other ladies in his life, who are competing for his attention. Just recently, we heard how Sonakshi, green with envy, pushed Zarine at one of Salman's parties.

Zarine, the diplomat, laughed and simply said, "I don't think anyone needs to be insecure as Salman gives attention to everyone.

I won't say that Sonakshi is my best friend. We don't go out for coffee and have long conversations, however, there is no bad blood. When the news came out, Sonakshi smsed me and all is fine."

Although, she is happy with the attention Salman gives her, he has not been the only man to have catapulted Zarine's career. Contrary to popular belief, it was Sajid Naidawala and not Salman who offered her the role in Housefull 2.

Incidentally, Zarine's aunt and Sajid's sister have been friends for 20 years. Zarine said, "Sajid has practically seen me growing up. My aunt used to stay in the same building. However I started interacting with Sajid only after I joined the film industry."

With all the criticism she received for being overweight in Veer, the actress is all geared up to reveal her enviable look in Housefull 2.

She excitedly said, "Everybody wrote me off. People said I was very overweight but no one understood that I had to gain weight for the film. However, I had to really work hard to get back to what I am today.

The results are now to be seen. Now, with Housefull 2, I will be able to surprise people. I am work out twice a day and follow a strict diet."

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...