Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sameera: How can you romance me, Veera?

He's smart, she's sweet. He's bold, she's bright, He's witty, she's wise. Veera and Sameera Reddy, who play the lead roles in Gautham Vasudev Menon's next film, Nadunisi Naaygal, may not share a lot in common, save the trust they have in their director's ability to make good films and the faith they have in each other's professionalism.

But that doesn't stop the two from being good friends and from bringing down the house whenever they are together. A classic example follows...

CT: It's good to have two intelligent people discuss their film...
Sameera: Two? There's only one here and that's me (sporting a wicked smile). But then, jokes apart, I will have to say that Veera is extremely hardworking. I've known that side of his right from the time we were working on Vaaranam Aayiram (VA). Veera was an assistant director then. The friendly equation was there right from the start of VA and it has continued. I felt very comfortable working with him except on the first day...(a confused look on our faces gets Veera to interrupt...)

veera (with a smile): When Gautham sir decided to do Nadunisi Naaygal, he called up Sam to tell her about it. She, because of the immense faith she had in him, did not ask for details and gave her dates straightaway. She had no clue that I was to be playing one of the most important characters in the film. So, when she arrived on the first day and heard the story, she asked, 'Who's the psycho?' to which Gautham sir replied, 'Veera is doing it.' And she began to laugh ... (Sameera cuts in at this point with a laugh...)

Sameera: To be honest, I thought it was a big joke. But then, all credit to Veera, I think he has come a long way. At no point has he taken anything for granted and worked really hard to prove himself. In fact, everybody who doubted him in the beginning has appreciated him in the end.

veera: I happened to watch a Bengali film in which Sam had acted and it was a performance-oriented role, which she had done beautifully. We often do not realise the immense potential our actresses have and confine them to glam roles. In fact, the kind of work Sameera has done in Nadunisi Naayagal has been fantastic. It's a tough, demanding role which is generally scripted for heroes.

Sameera: There's one particular scene in this film for which Gautham made me put my face in muck. I had to lie flat and put my face in the dirt with Rottweilers' snarling at me. It was a difficult and scary thing to do as on the one hand, you had the muck and on the other, growling rottweilers, with their saliva dripping, and their trainers egging them on to be even more ferocious.
(Veera interrupts: I wouldn't have ever done that)

Sameera: Though the Tamil audiences love commercial cinema, they also appreciate realistic cinema and I think Gautham is cashing in on that fact.

veera (with a wicked grin): It's only fair that this conversation ends with the question, 'When is Gautham sir going to make a love story with Sameera and me in the lead?'

Sameera: (laughing): Yeah, right! But how can you romance me, Veera?

veera: Why, Sam? I could sing to you with a guitar. I could be romantic...

Sameera (still roaring with laughter): Yeah, like the romantic way in which you drag me by my hair in this film and try to drown me in a tub of water? That's a romantic idea and I'm going to try that out this Valentine's Day.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...