Sunday, October 2, 2011

My shelf life is limited: Ayesha Takia

Mirror reader Vinay Vishwanath meets a content Ayesha Takia who talks about doing all the things she loves after marriage

He paced anxiously outside the cafe where we were to meet Ayesha Takia. He tapped his foot against the wooden floor nervously. Finally, he walked up to her as she turned to him with a warm smile. For three years, Vinay Vishwanath harboured the desire to meet the bubbly and doll-like Ayesha.

From the word go, Vinay was comfortable chatting with Ayesha. He told her about his job as a research analyst, which impressed her, as she too has turned to research in the last few years to understand the restaurant business better. "Research is especially important when we're deciding on a new menu. But the most fun bit is the tasting, which becomes more like eating for my family and me," she laughed.

After her marriage to restaurateur Farhan Azmi, Ayesha took a backseat from films to learn the ropes of the business. "I had been working for ten years and though I love films, I needed a break. Everyone should do more than one thing so that life becomes more fulfilling. I knew that my shelf life is limited; someone else would soon take my place. I had to make sure that I had my life sorted."

As she spoke about her work, Vinay got curious about her journey from the Complan girl to becoming an actress. "That was by sheer chance. The director of the ad film was my father's friend, so when the main girl for the ad didn't show up, he begged my dad to send me. There's been no looking back since," she recounted.

She is a self-proclaimed spoilt girl, who lives in a bubble. But despite the glamour and the fun she had between the words 'action' and 'cut', she wanted more. "I didn't like waking up at 5 am and taking three hours put on make-up. Now, I'm enjoying life."

At the tender age of 23, right before the release of one of her biggest films, Wanted, Ayesha shocked (and disappointed) many by getting married. "I don't know why people say you can't have a career and a marriage. Farhan and I loved each other so I didn't see why it wouldn't work," said Mrs Azmi.

Today, two-and-a-half years into her marriage, Ayesha seems more in love than ever. "What was your first date like?" asked Vinay. "I don't like bikes but he had arranged a number of Ducatis and Harley Davidsons to take me out on a ride. All his friends were there at Marine Drive too and we went for a ride around Mumbai. It was fun, but I still haven't learnt to enjoy bikes or speed," giggled Ayesha.

Though she told us how she gets along with Farhan's friends, she admitted to not having too many herself. She said, "We moved around a lot as kids and I didn't go to college to make life-long friends. Now it's difficult to make friends because you don't know whether or not to trust the person's intentions. I am close to my family but I don't have too many friends."

This seemed to surprise and disturb Vinay, who told Ayesha how amazing it is to have 'chaddi buddies'. "You can call up your friend at 2 am and say 'let's go to the dhaba'. Last night we brought in one of our friends' birthday," he said. Having missed out on this herself, Ayesha enjoyed listening to Vinay's stories.

But she is contemplating going back to college. "I'd love to have the complete college experience, though I don't think it would be possible now. I want to study psychology. I like to peek into people's minds and see what they're thinking," she said, winking.

Finally, it was a common belief that made Ayesha and Vinay really bond. Ayesha's opposition to kissing, lovemaking scenes and item songs is well known. But having one of her biggest fans endorse her views made all the difference. "If the content is good, you don't need an item number to spice things up," said Vinay, inviting a high five from his favourite star.

Ayesha said that she didn't have too many ways to interact with her fans, except via social media. Vinay suggested she create a fan website. And he offered to develop it too. "Your movies make me happy, now I want to give something back to you," he said. 


Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...