Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No love triangle in Aarakshan: Deepika Padukone

Deepika Padukone isn't surprised certain people have certain issues with her upcoming film Aarakshan that talks about the sensitive issue of reservations in our country. In an exclusive conversation with Gaurav Malani , she speaks about everything from her take on reservations to who would she want to reserve from the industry for herself.

How much scope do you have in a male-dominated political drama like Aarakshan?
Well I believe that the character that I play of Purbi Anand has a very strong and important voice in the film. She's a girl who is torn between her father and boyfriend when the issue of Aarakshan flares up. She idolizes her father, loves her boyfriend but at the same time understands the situation and where both of them are coming from. The decision that she makes thereon is important.

What is your personal take on reservations?
It's an issue that I've always been very aware of. But having done the film, it's very difficult for me to tell whether I am for it or against it because I know both sides of the story now. I know the implications and the complications that it has and I don't even know what the solution to it is.

Does the film take any stance towards reservations?
The film doesn't talk about pro or anti reservations. What it does is states facts and reality like it is in our country today.

Aarakshan is facing a lot of opposition for its theme...
Since it is such a sensitive issue, I am not surprised that certain people have certain issues with the film. Having said that, being a part of the film, I believe it is unfair for people to react at a stage when they haven't seen the film. Ok, the promos are suggesting certain things but you still don't know what the entire film is about. So I feel until you have seen the entire film, one shouldn't really judge it.

What is the one thing you learnt from Amitabh Bachchan?
I can't say I learnt one thing from Amitabh Bachchan. It has been an overall learning experience - watching him interact with people, the way he is on the sets, the way he performs in front of the camera. The minute he walks in the room, he has this certain energy and aura about him. He made me feel very comfortable, instilled a lot of confidence in me and he's also fun to work with.

Don't you think Saif is too suave and sophisticated to play a Dalit?
I think this is where the fact that he is a good actor comes into play. A lot of people felt that because of, say maybe, his personal lineage or the fact that he has played only certain kind of roles that he can't play certain other kind of roles. But I think what he did in Omkara was a classic example of that. He took people by surprise and won awards and acclaim for that film.

Is there a love triangle between Saif, Prateik and you in the film?
No there isn't a love triangle. The conflict for me is of three different kinds. One is with my father whom I worship and idolize and look up to. The issues I have with my friend (Prateik) and my love (Saif) are separate.

Which was the most difficult part of working in Aarakshan?
I think to hold my own amongst so many male characters within the film was really challenging for me.

Finally, given a chance, which actor/director would you want to reserve for yourself?
I think I would want to reserve an entire classroom so that I can have many actors and directors in that. It's a never-ending list!

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...