Sunday, August 7, 2011

The characters re-evaluate life: Emma Bell

Emma Bell opens up about working on Final Destination 5

Could you talk a little bit about your character?
I'm playing Molly Harper, a really girly girl who works as a salesperson at this paper factory and is desperately in love with a guy (played by Nicholas D'Agosto), but they have different ideas about what they want to do in life. At the start of the movie she's struggling with that but then with the series of terrifying events that happen to them, they have to re-evaluate life and their relationship together.

How was it working on the gimbal (bridge set)? It has to be a little freaky...
Yeah, it's an experience. But it's the big scene of the movie so obviously it requires the most attention. I had to walk across the eye-beam at one point and that was even moving, you know, while the gimbal was moving. We did a take with a harness, and one without the harness because it was getting in the way and it was really, very terrifying.

Could you talk a little bit about working with PJ Byrne and David Koechner?
They're probably the most funny men I've ever encountered. David Koechner, everyone knows him from a lot of things, but I'm a big fan of Anchorman, so I told him how much I loved him. PJ is also so hilarious, you're always cracking up.

What have you been enjoying in Vancouver?
I'm a big fan of Stanley Park. I love just how beautiful Vancouver is. I mean, everywhere you look it's just mountains and ocean. I live in LA - I love LA, first off - but I didn't realise how much better the air quality was here until I went back to LA for a weekend and literally felt like I was breathing fire.

Since the format of these films is so well known - as an actor, how do you keep things fresh and original?
Although there are other movies, this sort of thing has never happened to my character or me, certainly, in my life. So approaching it from a point of view where it's absolutely new and happening for the first time, kind of keeps it fresh.

Between the TV series The Walking Dead, Frozen and this film, have you had enough of horror yet?
I think there's a lot of room to explore the genre. There's a lot of different types of horror.

You have experience with imaginary things in other horror films -do you think that helped you get the job?
I think so. I think Craig Perry, who's obviously like the father of the Final Destination series, had seen Frozen and enjoyed it. So I think that helped. But I know that they were actually looking for on this one, for how I chose to relate to the character in the audition. That actually is a mark of what they're trying to do with this particular Final Destination is obviously have all the action and horror, but they want to get back to a place where the characters are really defined and have really great relationships with each other.

Final Destination 5 a Warner Bros release will be in theatres August 12

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...