Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ranvir is an involved father: Konkona


Konkona Sen Sharma Konkona Sen Sharma, who plays an actor in 'Iti Mrinalini', talks to CT about the drawbacks of being in the film industry, being a working mom and son Haroon

You play an actor in "Iti Mrinalini". In real life, what's that one thing about this film industry that you feel you had never bargained for while making a career choice?
If I were to talk about the drawbacks of this industry, I would say there is a lot of interest in private lives of actors. I have been told that this interest comes with the territory. There is a growing trend of intrusion though it's true that things here are nowhere close to what it is in Hollywood. It's acceptable if this interest is shown without compromising on the dignity and respect. Fortunately, my private life has not been intruded.

Even today, you just need to once say that no photographer will be allowed at your mother's place during the interview for everyone to follow your directive. How do you manage to avoid this intrusion at a time and age when the media is even covering the illness of a star's pet? Is it the rub-on effect of the awe your mother inspires or is there something else too?
If you are a big star, there is that much more interest in your life. When I was seeing Ranvir, the media did want to know about my relationship. But I never felt comfortable speaking about it and I politely said so. I guess, it all depends on the person, the journalist and the media in question. Besides, I've always been on the periphery and I am comfortable being that way too.

Mrinalini in Aparna Sen's "Iti Mrinalini" is a heroine who has a child out of wedlock. In real life, what's your take on having a love child?
I am a person who has very few moral hang-ups. I really don't care about the choices others make. Mrinalini is a very vulnerable and insecure person. She doesn't have a good support system to fall back on when she goes through the crisis in her life. She seeks solace in different men. At times, I have not been able to understand the kind of choices that she has made in her life.

Women being exploited by men is nothing new in the industry. These days, the buzz is that even cerebral actors (who don't only rely on their looks to bag movies) lose out on roles if they choose not to compromise. Have you ever heard such horror tales?
I might have heard some rumours here and there. But I have never gone through anything like this.

You say your mother can bring the best out of you as an actor. Who do you think can bring the best out of your mother as an actor?
I can't really say. She is a very good actor. My mother is a perfectionist.

How do you approach your roles as an actor?
I don't have a method as such. When I am doing my mother's movie, I follow her method. When I am doing Rituparno's films, I follow his style. If a director doesn't have a particular style, I prefer rehearsing in advance.

It's taken quite a few years to actually see you again on-screen in Tollywood. Despite doing such good work in Mumbai, why are you conspicuously absent in Tollywood? Is your PR skill suspect?
Honestly speaking, I don't get offers for doing Bengali films. I really wouldn't know the reason why I am not offered the roles. Perhaps, people might be thinking that I might not do their movies. The directors will be in a better position to answer this question. Any which way, I am not really that worried about this thing. I was never that keen about wanting to be an actor. Acting happened to me and, subsequently, things worked out beautifully. So if Bengali movies are not coming my way, I am not really getting tense about it.

Is there any Bengali movie that you watched and yearned that the role come to you?
No. That has never happened to me. But it's also true that I have not watched too many Bengali movies. I plan to watch some that my mother has recommended.

How have you planned your career now?
My son, Haroon, is just four months old. I have just about started doing some endorsements. I am going to read scripts and will probably want to start working on a movie in Mumbai by the end of this year or early next year. It's hard to predict when I will start working. It depends a lot on my son and how he takes to my absence at home. And, of course, it also depends on how good my help is.

Children of working parents sometimes suffer from guilt about not spending enough time with their kids when they become parents. What's your take on that?
I don't feel I lost out on anything because my mother was working. In fact, it has enriched me. I remember going with her to Moscow. During my holidays, I have also been to her shootings. That was a different kind of education. I certainly want to be a working mom.

How much of an involved father is Ranvir?
Oh! Ranvir is a very involved father. Both father and son bond so well. Ranvir loves to give him oil massages and enjoys spending a lot of time with him.

How much of me-time are you getting now?
Very little.

You use both your parents' surnames. What about Haroon?
He is Haroon Shorey. I didn't want to burden him with a surname like Shorey-Sen Sharma.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...