Monday, July 11, 2011

Owais to play MF Husain!

With his documentary Letters To My Son About My Father on his father M.F Husain in the post-production stage, Owais claims he hasn't made the documentary with the intention of fulfilling any expectations but his own.

"My father didn't approve it. He kept saying, 'What is the documentary format that you've adopted to tell my story? Who'll watch it?' Why don't you make a feature film on me?' To him a documentary was one of those Films Division things."

Now that his father is no more, adhering to his late father's wishes, Owais will make a feature film on the iconic artist and rumour is that Owais himself might play his father.

A source said, "It would only be justified if Owais plays his father in his feature film. Only he can justify the character. Being a son he knows his father and seen his life rather too closely. So there are fair chances that he will end up playing MF Husaain in his film."

Recollecting a childhood memory when he really played his father, Owais said, "There is footage of me playing my father. It happened in 1986 when my father took me to his home-town Indore to revisit his past.

He made me dress up like him in his younger days and shot me on a video in his ancestral home, the streets of Indore and his school. Of course now my father's school in Indore is no more. But the footage of me playing my father remains somewhere. I must retrieve it and take a look at it. But I do believe I'm a terrible actor."

But Husain Saab did see his son's documentary on him. Recalling the moment, Owais says softly, "My documentary on my father was invited to the Doha-Tribeca film festival last year.

On my request he flew down from London to Doha to watch the 12-minute cut that I had prepared. I think he liked what he saw."

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...