Sunday, July 17, 2011

My family doesn’t take me seriously : Anil Kapoor

 Anil Kapoor tells us how he manages to keep his head on his shoulders, his Hollywood projects, Sonam’s romantic liaisons and being the best tapori in B’town

Are Indians getting their due in Hollywood?

Honestly, there’s still a long way to go. But yes, the doors have opened. I was speaking to a few successful people in LA recently who told me, ‘It’s never been so good here for the Indians in show business and other spheres as well’.

What do you think is lacking in Bollywood?

Things are rapidly changing here. There are some exceptionally talented people here who are making a difference - Aamir Khan, Aditya Chopra, Karan Johar, Vidhu Vinod Chopra, Rajkumar Hirani, Sanjay Leela Bhansali. These guys are constantly raising the bar. But having said that, I feel that we are still catering to Indian diaspora. They should go all out to get a global audience.

Do the inevitable comparisons of Bollywood and Hollywood in your mind disturb you?

That’s a good question but no, I adjust quickly. My roots are here. I am what I am because of Bollywood. Shekhar Kapur keeps telling me that I should stop working in Indian films, but I’ll never do that.

At the end of the day, I am a very emotional person. I just continue being myself, a mainstream commercial hero from Indian cinema. Coming to your question, I have my share of conflicts but I don’t voice them or take them negatively. To be honest, Hollywood too has its downside.

How much has Hollywood changed you?

Personally, I am the same old Anil Kapoor. Professionally, it has opened several doors for me. For the first time in my 30-year-old career, I am getting offers from the US and Great Britain. And in the US, I am what I was 30 years ago in India. It’s like I am starting all over again.

Did it hurt not being a part of the promotional campaign of MI4?

(Smiles) I am ecstatic that I am not in the promos of MI 4. No expectations from me in India now (smiles). Frankly, I would fly down for Tom Cruise and J J Abraham even if they want only one shot with me. Above all, I can’t say ‘No’ to my son. He had told me, ‘Dad, you must do MI 4’.

So many Hollywood offers... how do you avoid getting carried away?

Thanks to my wife and kids; they still don’t take me seriously (grins). Secondly, it depends on the kind of person you are. My bank balance does not define my success.

Thirdly, I am in a happy space. I feel that I am like the most successful person in the industry. I am peaking in my health. My kids are doing well. My wife is looking lovely. What more do I want?

Seems that you have started indulging in gambling. You placed bets in a horse race…

Arre no. That was just for a lark. I haven’t been to the Mahalaxmi Race Course yet.

Has your dressing style changed?

Not really. I change my wardrobe every ten years. Surely, I can’t be dressing today how I used to in 1990.

How do you feel when you read that Sonam is more about clothes than films?

The biggest stars of the world - Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Rekha, Meena Kumari, Dev Anand, have all been fashion conscious.

Has the film industry given Sonam her due?

Yes. People love her as an actress. She is a star who has a mind of her own. Moreover, she’s been here only three years.

Are you a conservative father who comes in the way of her films?

Not at all. She takes her own decisions. I come in only if and when she needs me. My wife, kids and I are friends. It’s a fantastic atmosphere in the house. We pull each other’s pants off.

Do her linkups (Ranbir, Punit Malhotra) disturb you?

No. Link-ups are a part of showbiz. As long as she is well behaved and comes home in time, I am not complaining.

What did you think of Sonam and Deepika taking on Ranbir in KJo’s chat show? Rishi was fuming…

That’s a thakela question. It’s been done to death. Rishi and K Jo who swore not to work with each other are now doing two films together.

Who do you think can play the role of a tapori, like you did in many of your earlier films in your hey days—Shahid /Ranbir/ Imran?

No one. I was a tapori in real life and they are all good boys (laughs).

The heroine with whom you had the best chemistry?

Four actually. And let me shock you with the order. 1. Amrita Singh 2. Padmini Kolhapure 3. Sridevi 4. Madhuri Dixit.

Link-ups are a part of showbiz. As long as Sonam is well behaved and comes home in time, I’m okay with it

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...