Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Why date married men: Raima Sen


To get work in Mumbai, one can't go out of circulation, owns up Raima Sen.

With sister Riya becoming the face of Team Kochi, aren't you having loyalty issues?
There's no such issue. I'm only supporting Team Kolkata. When I was recently at the Eden Gardens, the producer of my Malayalam film called up to ask whether I would be cheering for Team Kochi. But I have a clear stand: I'm all for the Knights.

Didn't sister Riya insist on you supporting her team?
That Riya is the face of Team Kochi is her professional commitment. I think she's supporting Team Kolkata from her soul.

Are you open to being the face of any other team?
If it's a team other than the home franchise, it would again be a professional commitment.

Sometime back you made it to Goa on Mamata Banerjee's invite to be part of the then ongoing IFFI. Now that she is the CM of the State, any expectations from the new government?
Mamata Banerjee is known to put her words into action. She had expressed the desire to make a film city like the one in Hyderabad. I've not spoken to her after her win, but I think such a project will happen for real. I'm hopeful of a greener Kolkata.

Greener Kolkata? Literally or figuratively?
Literally (laughs).

How was it seeing Riya play a non-glam role in " Noukadubi"?
I think, my sister has done a brilliant job. And, it's not a difficult thing when you are working with a director like Rituparno Ghosh. The best part is that Riya looks so believable as Kamala. For me, it was like working in the same environment as that of " Chokher Bali", but Riya's case is different. It might have come as a surprise for those who haven't seen Riya from close quarters, but to me, it didn't come as a
surprise at all.

As someone, who is senior to Riya in both age and experience, were you benevolent in giving away acting tips?
Riya went by her instinct. I didn't have to give her any suggestion. But yes, I'm like Rituparno's daughter, who shares a good camaraderie with his unit. Riya, that way, is not familiar with the Tollywood set-up. When on the sets, I would ask Riya if she needed anything and at times, helped her break the ice with unit members.

With the two of you together, it must have been a mad house on the sets...
Riya and I don't share screen space in the film and even our shooting dates were different. So, that way, we were never together on the sets. Rituparno and Riya are friends and I'm sure they must have had a lot of fun shooting. Sadly, I missed out on all of it.

These days, you spend more time in Kolkata, while Riya is away in Mumbai. Are the two of you perfectly clued into each other's lives?
Of course. We have the same set of friends and we are always on the phone. Whenever Riya is in town, she drops in and we catch up during weekends.

You've suddenly been flooded with meaty Tollywood offers...
Yes, suddenly there are a lot of offers. Apart from "Abashesey" and "Baishe Srabon", "Chitrangada: The Crowning Wish", "Hason Raja", there are two more good offers. Actually, there are a lot of offers that way, but I'm keen on these two. But so much of work is scary. Thanks to all these commitments, I had to spend a major part of last year in Kolkata. I've just completed shooting for Tanuja Chandra's "Raakh"
opposite Rajeev Khandelwal. But you need to be in Mumbai to get enough work there. My
manager there had called up to say how there were a lot of enquiries last year as against 2011. 'Do we take a package deal of 10 shows and five appearances?' I was asked. So, you basically need to be there to make your presence felt. You can't go out of circulation. Because, in my case, a lot of people have started wondering if I've shifted base to Kolkata.

So, there's a dilemma?
My parents think I should stay back...

And make it to the top slot...
That's there. But they also genuinely want me to be with them. I would say, it's both. See, my
parents are here, my grandmother is here, so there are reasons why I should stay back. But I can't help miss the fast-paced life in Mumbai. In Kolkata, things move at a snail's pace. Also, I'm thoroughly missing my puppies and my pad there.

Who's taking care of the puppies?
There are a lot of good people in Mumbai. Also, Riya's there.

So, you mean you are here but still not going to be part of the rat race?
I don't want to do all kinds of films. There has to be exclusivity in my work. If I have five offers, I might take up two. But those two will have to bring me creative satisfaction.

Not eyeing the top slot then?
Umm... I want to come down and do good work. I want people to come up to me and say, 'I loved you in the film'. At the same time, I want to make the most of the little work that I get in Mumbai.

Coming to your latest film, how was it getting under the skin of Hemnalini?
Unlike my character in "Chokher Bali", I had to work on the body language here. I kept thinking for two days about the role. I didn't know how to pull it off. Hemnalini is a dignified lady, and I had to walk the part, talk the part. Though I haven't seen the Hindi version of the film, I think, it should have the same impact.

Hemnalini loves Ramesh, waits for him, without knowing he has got married. Do you think love transcends social boundaries?
Love transcends every boundary.

Does that mean you have no qualms about dating a married man?
Why would anybody date a married man? There's no point in doing that. One needs to think about one's own future. Relationship with a married man is not going to lead you anywhere.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...