Thursday, May 19, 2011

I haven't met Maria: Mahie Gill

The infamous Neeraj Grover case is yet to reach its outcome but Mahie Gill, who's working in Ram Gopal Varma's Not A Love Story inspired by the case, is quite excited about the film. And one of the reasons is working with RGV. "When I'd completed Dev.D, Anurag Kashyap had told me I should work with Ramu," she says. Excerpts from the interview...

Have you done any research on the case or the people involved?
I had just come down from shooting for Buddha in a Traffic Jam and had no time to do the research. But Ramu has done everything from speaking to Maria's friends to meeting the lawyers involved in the case. I haven't met Maria, so I don't know her mannerisms but I have contributed in my own way. Maria had worked in the Kannad film industry, whereas I'm shown as someone who's worked in Punjabi films.

The case is still going on, will the outcome have any effect on the film?
The film is just inspired by the events, it's not an exact version. The film has shown everyone in a positive light. In the film, Anusha Chawla played by me is a normal, sweet girl. It's basically the circumstances that led to the unfortunate incident. Usse galti hui thi. But in the end, it's just a film.

Why work with Ramu?
Yes, I don't know why because I felt that Rann and Rakta Charitra were good films. But sometimes destiny plays its part.

You were probably the only one who didn't benefit from a superhit like Dabangg...
Sometimes you do films for friends. I did Dabangg for Abhinav Kashyap. He told me that it's a very small role but he wants me to be a part of his debut film in some way. I'm happy I did the film because I got to meet the lovely Khans. Maybe I didn't get more films because of the film, but I got to meet good people.

What's on your plate now?
I've got five releases coming up . Michael with Naseeruddin Shah, Sahib Biwi Aur Gangster, Paan Singh Tomar, Buddha in a Traffic Jam and Not a Love Story.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...