Monday, February 21, 2011

Vijender Singh is cute: Narmmadaa

She might be a fresher in Bollywood, but she talks like a pro. Narmmadaa Ahuja, who was in town recently, gets chatty about films, her famous dad and more.

Is this your first time in the city?
Not really. I keep coming to Kolkata every three months. This is like my second home. What's more, my mom has also got a house in Kalikapur. She intends to come here for pujas, breaks and some peace of mind away from the bustle of the city. I have an association with Kolkata too. My nana had his factory here and was a distributor in Kolkata and Mumbai.

Going by your name, it seems like you have done numerology...
Well, it is based on it to a certain extent. The name was decided by my parents and it has been with me for 10 years now.

So, do you believe that a change in spelling is directly proportional to an advancement in career?
Not exactly so. My name was supposed to be spelt with a 'D'. But my father and grandmother combined their names and named me so.

With so much speculation surrounding your debut, is it just hearsay or is it fact that you will feature in the sequel to "Dabangg"?

This is news to me. If you ask me, there is no truth to such rumours. I have a couple of films in my kitty; one is a rom-com by Lovely Singh and another by Deepa. I don't know which of these two will mark my debut. I am also considering other scripts.
Like father, like daughter

Buzz doing the rounds is that Vijender Singh will be making his debut in Lovely Singh's venture...
The answer will be there in the papers in March.

So, you are neither confirming nor denying the news?
Yes.

Have you interacted with Vijender?
Yes, I have. He is a pretty interesting person to interact with. I think, he is cute.

You dad is known for his comedies. So, was it a planned move on your part to feature in a rom-com?
It wasn't planned. Being passionate about films, I wanted to do something that I enjoy and that comes easy to me. Honestly, I don't want my first film to be heavy on people.

You have said in an interview that you would want to debut with an actor who is at least a film old...
That is not exactly what I meant. My past experiences have made me say that. All I want is that an actor should give space and time to the opposite actor to emote. It is not as if working with newcomers is a strict no-no for me.

Word has it that Govinda was annoyed because Salman helped Sonakshi make a successful debut when apparently, he was supposed to help you launch your career...
This is absolutely baseless. Fact is, the story began with some rumour mongering. Why would dad be upset with Salman? After all, they are friends. Having said that, I feel, one should be able to help oneself rather than wait for someone to do the same for them. I was never approached for "Dabangg" and neither did dad talk to Salman about the same.

What's your take on the Govinda brand of humour?
That's just him. The 90s was his decade. If he was doing a certain kind of comedy, it was because the audience wanted it. But he is not interested in repeating himself now. Even the humour today has changed.

Ever told him that his humour was loud?
Yes, I did quite a few times. But it doesn't matter what I say because that's what the public wanted. That was the need of the era. That's what the audience then liked and accepted.

Your father has also seen a rough patch in his career. How did you, as a daughter, stand by him during those times?
It's not like we weren't aware of that phase. Such a phase comes in every actor's life when you want a break and also the audience seems to have had enough of you. But having a positive approach is all that matters. My father was an MP then, doing his own thing. He was bored with films. And when he wanted a comeback, he wasn't getting the kind of films that he would want to be seen in. Fact is, that wasn't the first time he was seeing these ups and downs. And yes, I was by his side. After all, everyone needs a boost.

Is Govinda a possessive dad?
Not that much. He knows how the industry functions and trusts me.

Talking of the industry and the goss then, there were ample rumours about Govinda and his women, his tiffs and tantrums. Ever wanted to know the truth to them?
I never discuss these things with him now, but I did so when they were written about. Like I said, I am aware of the industry. I understand that when you shoot for 40 days or more with someone, chances are you might be attracted towards that person. But you can remain good friends. I think, the biggest shame for an actor would be when there are no controversies written about him/her. I am not one to take such matters to heart.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...