Sunday, July 10, 2011

I wanted a tall husband: Ratan Rajput | Interview After marriage

TV actress Ratan Rajput chose software engineer Abhinav Sharma as her life partner because he not only fulfilled all her criteria - and he is very tall. 

"He fitted my picture of the proper mate. Also, I wanted a tall husband because I am not that tall. I'm proud to say my fiance is over six feet tall," said Ratan 

Excerpts from the interview:

Q: Getting married on television? Isn't it weird?
A: Aren't the lives of all celebrities abnormal? We make news for sensationalism. If my relative dies in the village, no one writes about it. But if I decide to marry on camera, it makes news... Even if I decided to get married off camera, people would still be skeptical. At least now I can claim that the whole process of choosing a life partner happened in full public view. 

Q: Do you think such a swayamvar marriage can work in this day and age?
A: See, whether it is love marriage or an arranged marriage, whether it works or not depends on the two individuals. I agree a wedding decided on television would be a tough task for an ordinary girl. But for a celebrity the extraordinary is normal. 

Q: Will you be able to see this unconventional marriage through?
A: Of course! I am determined to see it through. I realise the same swayamvar earlier ended on an unfortunate note. I am quite certain I will see it through. 

Q: You are referring to Rakhi Sawant's fiasco marriage?
A: Yes, I don't want to defend Rakhi. But I do think it was better she realised she was making a mistake and called off the marriage. No point in making the wrong move. That's why I've got engaged and will now take time to understand my fiance. I want to sort out all the differences between me and Abhinav before we marry.

Q: Why did you select Abhinav?
A: He fitted my picture of the proper mate. I wanted a groom who was sensible, intelligent and job-holder. He supported me throughout the show. I also like his family. Also, I wanted a tall husband because I am not that tall. I'm proud to say my fiance is over six feet tall. 

Q: When are you getting married?
A: Let me enjoy this period before the wedding. It isn't as if we'll start living together. I'm not that liberal. But yes we'll visit each other's homes. Truly, life on camera is over for me and Abhinav. Now begins our real life together without a screenplay, choreographer or director. We are from two different cities. I want to spend some time with him. I am a public figure. I want him to get used to my lifestyle. 

Q: What did your parents from Patna have to say about their daughter's strange selection of a partner?
A: They're a very simple down-to-earth folks. They've never been on camera. They're happy for me. My parents met Abhinav. My journey from Patna to the soap Agle Janam Moke Bitiya Hi Kijo is like a dream. It's been a beautiful journey. Three of us friends had come from Patna to Mumbai to realise our dreams. Now we live separately, but very close by.
Q: There was a startling makeover from the soap to Swayamvar?
A: (Laughs) I wore whatever my designer told me. It isn't as if I didn't wear shorts before. I did. But I'm conservative in dress and conduct. 

Q: Any plans of acting in films?
A: I can only dream. Producers have to plan. So far I only wanted to make my parents happy by getting married and settling down. I'm half-way there. I'll continue acting after marriage if I can. 

Q: The whole thing is a bit unreal, no?
A: I love it. It's a beautiful feeling. Even on the show Abhinav and I were being ourselves. Now only the cameras are gone.

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: Pari and Raghav are about to tie the knot, wedding date revealed

Parineeti and Raghav Marriage: The relationship between Hindi cinema's cutie point Parineeti Chopra and politics' macho man Raghav ...